5 ways to be kind to yourself
BEING KIND TO YOURSELF HAS BENEFITS
If you have a chronic illness you know firsthand that stress can trigger a flare up or cause the disease to become even more active. This is why it is so important to be kind to yourself and practice good self care. Here are 5 ways you can be kind to yourself today:
- Pet a dog – research shows that petting a living animal can reduce anxiety
- Get a massage or a manicure – grooming and pampering may reduce heart rate and release feel good chemicals in the brain like endorphins and oxytocin.
- Go for a walk in the woods – It has been found that walking in nature has significant mental benefits and may reduce risk for depression.
- Have coffee or tea with a friend – Connecting with a friend may boost brain health and lower your risk for dimentia.
- Put on your dancing shoes – Regular aerobic exercise that incorporates some type of dance at least once per week can maximize brain function.
So go pet a dog and then take them for a walk in the woods! Then meet for coffee with a friend and get manicures together. After the manicures, go salsa dancing for a night out! Its good for your mind, body and soul.
Be Kind to Yourself!
Amanda Pratt, LCSW
Want to learn more? Sign up for our email list below to get premium access to online courses, new blog posts and educational content! Once you sign up, you will get our FREE GIFT: The Stress Reduction Activities Worksheet!